That's me (and my friend's dog)!
Writer? Reader? You're in the right place.
...and I'm so glad you're here. In case we haven't met, I'm Bucket Siler, a fiction writer and freelance editor. This site is home to all my literary goings-on, including my weird stories, writing advice blog, freelance editing services, and bookstore.
It felt important to carve out this lil' literary place on the Internet because my do-it-yourself approach to my writing is a little, um, different. I'm not particularly set on getting rich and famous, for one thing. It's not a goal of mine as a writer, and it's not anything I promise to my clients, subscribers, or readers. (Aren't you so sick of people schlepping the one true secret to writing success like it's a freaking miracle drug? I sure am.)
Instead, my goal is to write what pleases me, no matter how odd or un-bestseller-worthy, and to help other writers do the same.
How that "help" looks can vary depending on the day or the circumstance. As a skilled developmental editor, I work with writers to fiddle with the mechanics of their story until it matches their vision, which means I have a ton of advice about stuff like character development, theme, plot, and style. But I also try to help writers unclog their writing process, figure out what actually turns them on, and offer support and inspiration as they charge forth with their creations.
Whoever you are—reader, writer, fan, client, or something in between—welcome. I'm excited to meet you. Take a browse around and if you like what you see, you might want to think about adding yourself to one of my lists so we can stay in touch! xoxo
Here are more personal tidbits about me:
- I'm originally from the Pacific Northwest, and now live in Santa Fe, NM
- I have a fluffy black-and-white tuxedo cat who will chase a ball like a dog
- I LOVE tea, dark chocolate, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and tea (did I already say that?)
- I pretty much wear the same black hoodie every day
- My preference is for 10 hours of sleep but I can deal with 9
- I'm not a picky eater, but for some reason I can't STAND the taste or smell of cantaloupe
Here are an absurd number of photos of me:
Here's an exhaustive (yet incomplete) list of my various literary accomplishments:
- AUTHOR of The Complete Guide to Self-Editing for Fiction Writers, which has sold over 500 copies on my website
- CREATOR of about eight zines, which over the years have sold thousands of copies at bookstores, distributions, and online stores around the world
- Published WRITER in some tiny (and not-so-tiny) literary magazines
- FOUNDER of Santa Fe Zine Fest in Santa Fe, NM
- WINNER of a few small literary prizes, fellowships, and scholarships you've probably never heard of (including the Fulcrum Fund Award and a Vermont Studio Center fellowship)
- BLOGGER on Tumblr (15,000 followers and counting) where I post writing advice & inspiration for aspiring fiction writers
- Monthly NEWSLETTER-IST for thousands of email subscribers who get monthly writing advice from me
- EDITOR for my growing list of clients, including published, award-winning, and even bestselling (can you believe it?!) fiction writers
- HOLDER of an MFA in fiction writing from Rainier Writing Workshop
- FICTION READER for Ploughshares, one of the country’s top literary magazines, where I helped choose the winner for their 2019 emerging writer’s contest